Friday, December 29, 2006

Bummer

I'm pretty sure this year is over for me, at least rowing-wise. I can't even run without my back hurting a few hours later. Considering it's been about two months since my back started hurting, I'm going to wager that it's probably not the simple strain that they told me about at the infirmary at school. I've got an appointment on Tuesday with my physician here at home, and hopefully he'll be able to give me a better idea of what's going on and how to treat it.

This is honestly a little scary for me. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, even outside of the normal pains of rowing; I know I could row through this if I really wanted to. However, I don't want to damage anything beyond what it already is, and I don't want to blow many more years of rowing over one collegiate season. I know I'm going to be at college for over four years anyways, so I could use this as a "redshirt" season. Beyond the injury, I have classes that are probably going to conflict as well, and it'd be better off for everybody if I just took the season off and got myself in order.

I haven't told my coach this yet; I haven't talked it over with any of my teammates. We start winter training next week, and I've already paid for the trip, I might as well go. I have no idea what I'm going to do while I'm down there. I'll probably end up the launch bitch, taking video footage and holding on to clothes for people. Oh boy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep the head up. Just keep doing some light training to keep yourself fit if you can and get ready for next season. I've known people who have had to take a season off due to injury and they use it to keep themselves motivated the next season

5:24 PM, January 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you think it might b mor than a strain, consider having a bone scan done. The recommndd rcovry for th two is vry different as I learned from the orthodpedist. Good luck.

9:38 AM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger theoarsman said...

Thanks guys. I went to the doctor and got some x-rays taken, and they think it's a muscular thing, not a skeletal or spinal problem. I'll post more on this soon, don't worry.

11:15 AM, January 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home