Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Coming Back Like Jordan

To anybody who caught the Jay-Z reference in the subject line, good for you.

The weather has suddenly done a turn-around towards the whole "lamb" side of March. It was 54 degrees today, and it's supposed to be almost 60 tomorrow! I even wore flip-flops all day! It was very exciting.

To celebrate this change for the better, I decided I was going to go for a run after classes. I changed, stuffed my keys in my mailbox downstairs, and headed out the door. I headed towards the main road that would take me in the loop around campus. Inexplicably, however, I turned right instead of left, my legs leading me towards the gym where the men's crew equipment is stored. I couldn't help myself; if my back felt good enough to try running, then I must be well enough to give erging a shot.

I hopped on an erg and pulled a 30-minute piece, my first time sitting on one of those machines since mid-December. Three months away was a terrible thing; I was huffing and puffing after five minutes of a pace that was ten split seconds slower than my steady state pressure while I'm in season. The drag setting was around 120, yet it felt like the flywheel was cranked all the way to 10. But I suffered through the whole 30 minutes, feeling like a champion when the timer hit zero. I'm paying for it now; my back is sore and my arms ache. But it's not the same kind of pain that I've been experiencing lately, and it's good to know where I stand and what I have to do to get back in shape for the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home