Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Boat Race

Congratulations to the Light Blues, winners of the 153rd University Boat Race. I don't know if the Race has ever been broadcast in the United States, but I'm glad that ESPN got the rights to broadcast in America this year (even though it's just ludicrous that I had to wake up on a Saturday!).

One of the things that impressed me the most about the coverage of the race was the cinematography in the pre-race introductions. Everything, from the opening montage to the crew introductions were well crafted and seemed to display the beauty of the sport so well.

The race itself was a pretty good one. Oxford, billed as the underdogs by a significant margin, put up a hell of a fight right through the Surrey Bend. However, Cambridge held onto Oxford throughout, and just pounded through the last half of that race.

I've always been an Oxford fan, ever since I learned of the Boat Race. I don't know why, maybe I have something for Dark Blues; I've cheered for Yale in every event they've ever competed against Harvard. For Oxford to lose is a bit of a disappointment, but when one learns of Tom James winning his first of four Boat Races, you can't help but be a little happy for the guy. It must also feel good for Duncan Holland to win his first Boat Race after last year's debut loss to Oxford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home